How To Treat Alcohol Poisoning At Home
Alcohol poisoning should not be treated at home, plain and simple. In the event that someone shows signs of alcohol poisoning, getting them immediate medical attention is critical. However, if they begin to vomit, preventing aspiration (choking on the vomit) can save their life. Do this by rolling the individual on their side and allowing the fluids to exit their mouth. Closely monitor the individuals breathing and heart rate. If they stop breathing or they lose their pulse, call 911 immediately and begin CPR.
When To Take A Drunk Person To The Hospital
If any of the following symptoms present, get the individual to a hospital as quickly as possible:
- Mental confusion
- Lack of consciousness
- Slowed or shallow breathing
- Paleness or bluish skin color
How Long Does Alcohol Poisoning Last
How long alcohol poisoning lasts depends on a number of different factors, just like other effects of alcohol consumption. These factors include:
- the concentration of the alcohol consumed
- the amount of alcohol consumed
- the rate at which the alcohol was consumed
- Recent food consumption
- co-drug use (prescription, OTC, and illicit substances)
What BAC Is Fatal?
A fatal BAC can vary from person to person and situation to situation. It is not possible to know exactly what BAC would be fatal for an individual so avoiding binge drinking and mixing alcohol with other drugs is the best option to avoid alcohol poisoning.
What Heavy Drinking Does To Your Body
Alcohol is considered a depressant because it reduces involuntary physiological functions, such as breathing and heart rate. This effect can make the user feel relaxed, but in high amounts, it can also be fatal.
Once alcohol is consumed, it begins to enter the bloodstream and the body begins to process it. The liver is the main organ responsible for processing alcohol, but it can only process so much at one time. In fact, an individual’s blood alcohol concentration continues to rise after they have stopped drinking and can even continue to rise when they are unconscious. This can cause vital signs to drop to dangerously low levels, or to even stop completely.
Alcohol can cause damage to the stomach, liver, heart, brain, and many other organs. Although the body is able to heal when given the chance, alcohol poisoning can be deadly if left untreated. Additionally, long term heavy alcohol consumption can cause irreversible damage to various organs.
Is It Normal To Puke All Day After Drinking?
Although vomiting is a potential side effect of excessive drinking, it should not be considered normal. Vomiting is a sign of alcohol poisoning and should be taken seriously. If excessive vomiting occurs along with other signs of alcohol poisoning, immediate medical attention is needed. Additionally, water intake is critical because vomiting can lead to dehydration.
If only a small amount of alcohol was consumed and excessive vomiting occurs, it is possible that the individual has an intolerance for alcohol or that there is another toxic substance that was in the beverage. In this situation, if vomiting continues or if other symptoms present, seek medical attention right away.
What To Do After Alcohol Poisoning
After an episode of alcohol poisoning, the body may still take a few days to recover properly. The best thing to do for the first couple of days is to get rest, consume lots of fluids, and eat nutrient-rich foods.
For individuals who have had alcohol poisoning and who exhibit at least one other sign of an alcohol use disorder, an alcohol rehab program should be considered.
What To Eat After Alcohol Poisoning
As mentioned above, hydration and nutrition can play a role in recovering from alcohol poisoning. Until the individual is well on their way to recovery, no food should be given to the individual as they can vomit, choke, and aspirate on the food. Once the symptoms have begun to subside, healthy balanced meals will provide the body with valuable nutrients to fully recover. Some foods and nutrients that are beneficial include:
- Nuts & Seeds
- Milk Thistle
- Coconut Water